Sunday, July 19, 2009

I wish I could get a lawyer...

So, I have been meaning to write this since Thursday but have not had time until now.
We had received the preliminary results of Connors MRI the day he had the test done. They read NEGATIVE for Leukodystrophy and his pediatrician said she should receive the final results no later than Monday. Monday came and went and I had received no call. Finally on Wed. I called and she told me to call the hospital to try and get things moving. She was sure it had to have been read by now.
I called the hospital and sure enough, they either had forgotten to send it or in one of their mass faxes to various offices, it might have gotten lost. She faxed it right away and the pediatricians office called me within minutes to let me know they had received it. OH YEAH!!! Sadly, our doctor had left for the day and would call me Thursday morning.
Bright and early Thursday morning I receive a call from Dr. A. She tells me the final results are in and Connor's brain is NORMAL! "WHAT? Are you sure? The CT scan showed missing white matter and patchiness". She proceeded to tell me that the CT scan is not accurate for that type of work and what they were really looking at on the CT was his skull to see the sutures and the extent of the closure. The pediatric neurological doctor must have seen shadows on the scan that represented this horrible fatal condition and had to warn us. Only the MRI showed the accurate analysis of his brain. There is NO disformation of any kind on his little brain.
So, I proceeded to ask her why the neurological doctor would even tell us something so serious if he knew only an MRI would be the true telling factor? She didn't know the answer to that one. She did tell me that they should have just told her that an MRI was needed for further studies instead of making us think the worse.
I am calling the hospital on Monday and asking for that doctors name. He should not be able to scare families like that.
So, now it looks like we are strictly dealing with a chromosomal issue. According to his pediatrician, as soon as we see the genetics doctor, we will discuss where to go from there. She will refer us to other doctors if needed. She told me that the genetics doctor will give us the complete down low of exactly how many genes he is missing and what that entails. She is also still concerned about his skull and is excited for us to get to meet the facial team in September.
Eric and my blood work will be back sometime this next week and we will finally see for sure if this chromosomal issue came from one of us or if is has started with C. If it did come from one of us its back to the drawing board to see why Connor is so special and unique!!
I wish I knew how to sue someone for false diagnosis. I guess I just better chalk this one up for experience.

4 comments:

SeekerofGrace said...

WOW... I'm SO sorry you had to go through that. What a miracle.

QueenCrazyMum said...

call a med mal lawyer in your area. or at least file a complaint. while i am relieved for you -it s bittersweet given he hell you went thru for nothing.

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you tagged this 'idiot neurologist.' He should not have scared your poor mama heart like that but I am SO glad that Connor is JUST FINE!!!!

HstryQT said...

I'm so glad that you have good news now! I want to smack that doctor for scaring you like that; that's just horrible! I just knew Connor would be fine - he's just so smart and funny and adorable to have a brain issue; it just didn't seem to make sense. I'm glad my gut was right - for your sake as well as Connor's!