Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Translocation...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosomal_translocation
I have really refused to use the Internet as my means to educate myself on chromosomes but, I do trust wikipedia for definitions of things. I have been calling Connor's genetics doctor off and on for two days leaving his assistant tons and tons of messages.
My newest information on Connor's situation is translocation. Connor is missing the tail end of chromosome 21 and it has gone and attached itself to chromosome 12 making for one very long chromosome. Chromosome 12 still functions normally and is not affected by the fact 21 is stacked on top of it. Connor's translocation is called a Robertsonian Translocation. Basically instead of having 46 chromosomes, Connor has 45 with 12 and 21 being attached. The way I picture it in my head is that he has one really long chromosome and the rest are normal functioning and in their proper place.
Sadly, I don't know much more than that but according to the genetics assistant, I am handling this very well and seem to have a good grasp as to what is going on with Connor.
Tomorrow will be a big day as it is his CT scan.




No comments: