Sunday, December 6, 2009

It is lame to think this way but I think it's also normal

I have come to accept that my child is quite a bit behind the average 20 month old child in all walks of life and I love him even more for that BUT, I am still so jealous. I wish I could stop thinking about the what ifs and just forget about everything but it just seems impossible to do.
Connor will walk in just a few months, I feel like he is closer everyday but I wish he could be running like his cousins or peers. The doctors feel he SHOULD talk eventually but again, I wish he could let me know what is wrong instead of getting so upset that I cant understand his frustrations and cries. He babbles constantly and signs but sometimes he just needs more to get his point across.
The hardest thing to see is that he is so aware of the fact that he cant do something and I truly believe he knows he should be able to.
I noticed today that he TRIES so hard to form words but for some reason is unable to do so. He wanted so bad to say the word BLUE but all that came out of his perfect little mouth was MMMMLLL. I told him that was an amazing try and he will say the word blue sooner than he knows.
I never show him my jealousy of other kids because he is who he is and God would have had it no other way and neither would we at this point. I just hope as he grows up, things will become a little easier for him.

3 comments:

April said...

unfortunately (maybe because of the glare, haha) the grass is always greener. and, from an outside perspective... connor doesn't seem all that behind to me. casey didn't start walking until 18 months and didn't start talking except for a couple words like mama and dada, until after he was two. so take pride, mommy, connor and you are doing an awesome job :-)

The Turkstra's said...

I think it is normal. I know there are many a days that I am envious of all those parents that make healthy babies. I had a co-worker come in and tell me he made a snowman with his daughter this weekend. It about made me cry! Our outdoor trips are limited to running from the car to the house and one quick pic of him in the snow. I need to remind myself to be thankful for all the time I get to cuddle with him while we do his treatments.

The Flight of the Moody Family said...

thank you April and Sarah. YOu are both so right. I am so lucky he is making as much progress as he is on a daily basis. He is even starting to make a few sounds towards forming words. This is without speech therapy.
I think my main concern is that we just dont know enough about his chromosome deletion to be able to confidently know what the future holds.
I am so lucky though. I still cant help but feel a bit jealous but am glad to know it really is normal.
thank you both again.