Sunday, August 8, 2010

It is hard to see reality sometimes

I am with my son every day almost all day long.  I see him making tremendous progress and learning new things each day.   He is walking now and improving his balance each day.  He is now more aware of his surroundings and makes daily observations.  With a special spoon, he is starting to feed himself with tableware instead of his hands (sometimes) and his fine motor skills have skyrocketed.
With all of these improvements it is really hard to tell how delayed Connor really is until he is faced with a peer.  Darn those peers for shoving reality back into prospective for mommy and daddy.  With so many jumps of improvement I rarely feel he is so far behind.  I love him just the same but, I need to remember for his sake that he needs extra help in all areas, probably for a very long time.
I am now beginning to see how delayed his brain is.  I guess he just doesn't get things the way we do.  I am concerned he might not retain information correctly.
He is getting help for his gross and fine motor.  We are in speech therapy (which is another MAJOR concern) and he loves his new therapist but, who helps with mental delays?  I have never posed a concern for that before to his doctors.
I think I am just nervous.  He sees his genetics doctor next week and already I have 2 pages of questions and concerns regarding his future.
He needs to start school in about six months and I am scared to death.   The school district will be assessing him next month to see what type of special education he needs.  School will be so good for him but so hard for me.  It is not going to be easy to let my little man go for a long period of time each day.
Only time will tell, I guess.

1 comment:

Mama2Monkeys said...

hang in their mom. he's a special purpose child, in the sense that he's teaching you about your purpose in life. What good care your taking of him with all your concerns. and just remember. try not to size him up to other kids because they do all learn differently. my kids look like cavemen next to some of their piers too. i feel for you there. but in their own personal world. they and he are doing spectacular. i mean come on. they told you he probably wouldn't walk OR talk. and look at him go!

love and hugs on this end.
Rachel